What safety measures are in place during COVID-19?
In order to keep capacities at safe levels and allow for physical distancing, Luminaria will be take place over the entire month of December, with a limited number of guests each evening. In addition, along with enhanced cleaning of high-touch spaces, the following measures have been implemented:
- Mandatory mask policy: Effective Dec. 11, 2020, all guests will be required to wear a mask , shield or face covering, in all outdoor and indoor spaces (eg. washrooms), while at the Garden. There are no exceptions, except for brief removal when sipping a beverage or eating, and for children age two and under. If you are unable to wear a mask or face covering, please contact us for a refund, as you will not be admitted to the Garden without one. This policy, endorsed by the University of Alberta’s Public Health Response Team, will be enforced.
- There are no shuttles this year. Because of the limited number of guests each evening, there is sufficient free parking at the Garden for everyone.
- Guests are required to maintain physical distance of 2 metres / 6′ from any person not belonging to their immediate household.
- Some pathways are one-way or single file – please follow directional signage.
- Children must remain close to their parents / guardians at all times.
- Indoor spaces like the showhouses and Welcome Centre / gift shop are closed.
- Concession is closed.
- Drinking fountains are closed. Please bring your own water bottle.
- Cider will be served in disposable compostable cups only (no reusable mugs accepted).
- Choir members are spaced 2 metres apart and a minimum of 4 metres from the public.
- Loaner wheelchairs and strollers are not available.
Do not come to the Garden if you:
- have a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or shortness of breath.
- have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days.
- are a close contact of a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
I bought tickets online. What do I need to show at the gate?
What is the cancellation policy?
Tickets are non-refundable. We are not able to transfer tickets to another date. If the Garden cancels the event for any reason, we will post the information on our website and notify that evening’s guests by email, along with instructions for re-scheduling.
It’s supposed to be cold tonight. Is the event still running?
Luminaria is an outdoor winter event. The threshold for cold weather closure is -40C (ambient temperature or with windchill). Tickets are non-refundable. We are not able to transfer tickets to another date. If the weather is cold, we recommend you dress warmly, enjoy the hot cider, warm up for a minute by the fire, and plan to spend about an hour less to see the displays. Please note that with current restrictions, all buildings are closed except for washrooms. If the Garden cancels the event, we will post the information on our website and notify that evening’s guests by email, along with instructions for re-scheduling.
I bought tickets to come with a group of friends. Can we still use them?
Where is the Garden located? Are you on the University of Alberta campus?
How can I get to Luminaria? What about parking?
This season, we are not able to offer any shuttles. The only way to get to the Garden is by car. Parking is free at the Garden.
What time should I arrive? How much time should I allow to enjoy Luminaria?
Please plan to arrive within the half-hour entry time you have reserved. Entry times are staggered to ensure adequate physical distancing for patrons. Your time slot is for two hours, though we find most people spend about 1 to 1.5 hours enjoying a stroll through the light and candle displays.